This couple endures hardship responsibly because of their high regard for marriage. But intimacy between them is blocked because they are distracted by the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth. The thorns represent a distraction away from what is most important.
While their potential for marital success is high, too many weeds demand their attention. The relationship is last on a long list of other things they consider more interesting or more urgent.
- Emotional distance: a lack of expressiveness and passion;
- Growth that has slowed or ceased altogether;
- Emphasis on separate, individual pursuits;
- A focus on responsibilities (productivity, money, kids, etc.) more than on the relationship;
- So busy they are ships passing in the night and feel like roommates or strangers;
- A sense of “I am no longer in love”; and
- An unhealthy stability.